Monday, August 31, 2009

Telemarketing Laws Changing Tomorrow

Tomorrow (9/1/09) marks the change in telemarketing laws, again. Starting tomorrow, most for-profit companies that you don't have a relationship with will not be allowed to call you using pre-recorded messages. I personally don't receive a lot of calls, mainly because I registered myself for the national "Do Not Call" registry.

I was going to link here to a blog post I wrote on the national "Do Not Call" registry (donotcall.gov), but in searching for it, it appears that I never got around to writing about that. Coming soon!

In some of my classes, we talk about how the laws are behind the technology, and this is one of those examples. Phones get invented, people decide to start using them to market things, people invent technology to automate marketing of things, laws come in to place 20 years later restricting this practice.

Better late than never, though, and this should cut down on some of the more annoying calls you get at home.

Link to Story

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerry: This isn't a good time.
Telemarketer: When would be a good time to call back, sir?
Jerry: I have an idea, why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you back later?
Telemarketer: Umm, we're not allowed to do that.
Jerry: Oh, I guess because you don't want strangers calling you at home.
Telemarketer: Umm, no.
Jerry: Well, now you know how I feel.
[hangs up phone]