Monday, February 09, 2009

Linux and Continental

This weekend, a good friend of mine got married in Florida. I flew down on a Continental flight, and they've upgraded their aircrafts to have little computer based systems that include free music, TV shows, movies, and games on demand (note: this may only apply to certain continental crafts). That's pretty cool by itself. However, being a computer person, I was curious about how it was done, and when I flew back, I was among the first people seated. I got to see them rebooting the system, and to my surprise, it was a Linux based program.

I did a little search and it turns out this is more common than I realized. The Linux-based in-flight entertainment systems are pretty common and have been replacing the phones that no one ever seemed to use on the planes.

Definitely an upgrade, and a few games of Sudoku and an episode of Fringe made the flight go very quickly!

Link to story

2 comments:

David J. Csuha, CPP, CFE said...

Windows should never be allowed anywhere near an aircraft! The last thing you want the pilot to say mid flight is "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain, I am afraid we have blue screened"

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter if we have a blue screen or not, as long as its Capt. Sully flying it.