Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Microsoft Morro

Coming later this year, Microsoft plans to release their own security suite, currently called "Morro". They claim that they won't compete with McAfee and Symantec, but we'll see what happens. When Microsoft says "second half of 2009" - I assume "December" and not "July".

In my CIS 152 course I've had students do a paper discussing who is responsible for protecting consumers on the Internet - is it the operating system manufacturer, the PC manufacturer, the Internet service provider, or the consumer?

I didn't really trust Microsoft to do the right thing here - I was wondering if it was going to be available for Vista only to drive people away from Windows XP - but they're doing the right thing and making it available for XP and Vista (as well as "7"). I also have my suspicions that this is vaporware, but that's just me not trusting Microsoft.

If this happens and it is done right, it could be one of the most important things to happen in computer security in a long time - instead of requiring people to do work, you integrate it in to the operating system and make it passive. Will it be something hackers try to exploit? Of course, because it will be the security suite for "noobs". However, it would be better to have a locked door rather than an unlocked one, even if the lock is easy to pick.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/nov08/11-18NoCostSecurityPR.mspx

No comments: