Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Bada Bing

Microsoft has had a search engine for a while, and it just doesn't compete with Google - not that much does these days. They've decided to repackage their existing MSN and Live search tools in to a new tool with a new name: Microsoft Bing.

They feel like they'll be able to compete with Google for ad revenue with this change.

I took a quick look - it has a nice look, and they stole the "simple" approach from Google. Instead of a hugely cluttered page, it's much simpler than before, and I like the "Popular Now" feature. I did a few searches, and Google still came out ahead in terms of finding what I want. However, this might be something that gets them some attention. I'd encourage you to check it out, if nothing else!

www.bing.com

Story about Bing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always like to experiment with new search portals and engines. This has potential. One thing I appreciate about Bing is that it is straight forward as you said; unlike some other M$ products.

Pro's:
*Easy to use
*Supports special syntax searched eg. filetype:ppt INCLUDING searching for online cameras and devices eg. AXIS camera searches!

Con's
*The Bing rivacy policy links to the standard M$ privacy policy

I'll have to try it from an M$ Windows box to see how it "interacts" with Windows.