Saturday, April 17, 2010

Interesting Computer Stuff Wayback Machine: 4/17/2010

Trent at The Simple Dollar does this thing where he looks back and says "what was I doing at this time last year".  I thought I might check it out for my blog and see what happens.

Wayback to one year ago (April 2009):
Just because security is an illusion doesn't mean you can't be safer
How readable is your Word document?
Nissan vs. Nissan
I discussed how motivated hackers can get in to most any system, and how your goal should be to not be the weakest link.  I also discussed "readability statistics" in Word (which I recently demonstrated in my CIS 125 classes).  I also discussed the case of Uzi Nissan, who owns Nissan.com and is constantly sued by Nissan, the car maker.

Wayback to two years ago (April 2008):
Secure, Random Passwords
What not to do in PowerPoint
People want passwords that are easy to remember.  Sometimes, for security's sake, it is worth it to memorize a difficult password.  PC Tools has a link that will create a difficult to hack, random password.  And when I say "memorize", I don't mean "write it on a sticky note and put it on your monitor".  I also had found a PowerPoint video that I still use today: "Life After Death by PowerPoint".  This is a comedy routine that a comedian does to show common presentation mistakes.

Wayback to three years ago (April 2007):
Massacre of Virginia Tech
Wow.  The College was in the middle of closings due to the flooding of downtown Paterson (sound familiar?), and the Virginia Tech shootings had just happened.

Wayback to four years ago (April 2006):
Hello World
The blog had not been created yet, but it was close.  I started the blog on May 6, 2006 after attending a conference at NJCU.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."

Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen

Anonymous said...

Whatever you've got to tell me, I'll find out through the natural course of time.

Dr. Emmett Brown from Back to the Future.

(Now this is a quote)

Anonymous said...

Time line?! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time.

Commander Deanna Troi from Star Trek: First Contact

(Now THIS is a quote and a better movie!)

Anonymous said...

Uncle Rico: Kip, I reckon... you know a lot about... cyberspace? You ever come across anything... like time travel?

Uncle Rico From Napoleon Dynamite

(Checkmate!!)